Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mexican Tortilla Bake

Hi! It's great to be back!

Life is more under control than it was a few months ago, so here I am! However, with two small boys, it's never completely under control, which is why lately I have been putting a lot of effort into figuring how how to simplify meal times.

The first step: utilizing my freezer. I have NEVER been good at this, but now I recognize the necessity—and the convenience! I've been making meals and putting half in the freezer. Lasagna, homemade (and healthier) baked mac n' cheese, roll dough, cinnamon rolls (precooked), cookie dough, shredded chicken for tacos/burritos... You get the idea!

This is a pretty simple family meal that can also be stuck into the freezer. To save space (rather than freezing it all made up in, say, an 8x8 disposable pan) I just froze the chicken mixture, and I can assemble it with the tortillas and cheese later.

Mexican Tortilla Bake

Modified slightly from Rachael Ray's Mexican Lasagna, which has 5 stars and 700+ reviews on foodnetwork.com

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds ground chicken
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (14-oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels
Salt
8 (8 inch) spinach tortillas (I've just used regular)
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or shredded pepper jack
3 scallions, chopped

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add chicken and season with chili powder, cumin, and red onion. Brown the meat, 5 minutes. Add fire roasted tomatoes. Add black beans and corn. Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.

Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon oil. Cut the tortillas in eights (pizza-slicing style) to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with the scallions (or whatever you want—obviously, I added more) and serve.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Welcome back!! I so know what you mean. I don't think I've felt like I've had everything under control since before I had the first one! Oh well! :) I love using my freezer, too (and I'm thrilled out of my mind that we have an extra fridge in the garage now). It helps a lot. This recipe looks great as well!

Alison said...

I would love to get some tips from you on freezing things. I have never really had the confidence to do it!

Courtney said...

I just made this last week and it was a huge hit! I used ground turkey breast instead of chicken, but that's not too much of a difference.
I have yet to learn how to utilize my freezer. Maybe I'll try doubling the recipe next time I make it so I can stick some in the freezer.

KR said...

seems easy and delicious. Thank you for inspiration !