Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Bars

Hi all! Things are going well here. I'm happy to report that I am loving having two kids. Baby C is already two months old and remains a very content baby. Toddler T has more energy than I know what to do with, but I am loving this stage. He's 20 months old and makes us laugh all the time with the things he does and the words he picks up. Aren't they handsome?



Now on to my second favorite subject . . . Dessert! This is a new favorite of mine. Confession: I made it twice in one week. My only excuse is that both times I gave some of it away.

My husband can be picky about his sweets. I have a serious sweet tooth that requires a lot of curbing, but sweets don't tempt him like they do me. (Lucky man.) But this cookie bar did him in. They are just like their name describes—thick and chewy, with a slightly crispy exterior. I was only able to snap a couple of photos before my camera died, so check out more photos here at Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

Don't let this unassuming cookie bar fool you. Seriously, so yummy!

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Bars

From Mel's Kitchen Cafe (Thank you again, Melanie!)

2 1/8 cups (10 1/2 ounces) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
1 cup (7 ounces) light brown sugar
1/2 (3 1/2 ounces) cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips (use your preference of semisweet, bittersweet, milk, white, peanut butter…the options are endless!)

Preheat the oven to 325. Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position. Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil, letting the excess hang over the edges of the pan by about 1 inch so you can grab those edges and pull the brownies from the pan after they have baked. Spray the foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside. Whisk the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips and turn the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula.

Bake until the top of the bars is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 24-28 minutes. (It took 31-32 minutes in my oven) Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Remove the bars from the pan by lifting the foil overhang and transfer them to a cutting board. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.

3 comments:

Nate and Annie said...

These were so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Katie said...

I just made these to take to the ladies I visit teach. They are so delicious!

Melanie said...

Thanks, Erica! Your little boys are adorable!!