Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Homemade Cinnamon Applesauce

...with an announcement on the side!


Hi everyone! I can't tell you how much I've missed frequently updating this blog...But there's not a lot I can do because nothing I can make ever sounds good and what I do make usually doesn't turn out. If you don't already know, I'm expecting again! We are excited!

My pregnancy has been nothing to complain about by any means, but I so miss COOKING! I scour food blogs for meals that sound good, but rarely does something strike my fancy. Interestingly, all food outside of this house sounds delicious... As long as I don't have to make it or clean it up, I'm happy! Maybe I should turn this blog into a restaurant review blog for the rest of my pregnancy...

BUT, fall is my favorite season for cooking and baking, so maybe my tastes buds will start being my friends again soon. :)

Even with all that said, this homemade applesauce hit the spot!


Cinnamon Applesauce
7 apples, peeled, cored and diced (I used 5 Mackintosh and 2 Honeycrisp)
1 cup (or less) water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Combine all ingredients, and let simmer on medium heat, covered, for about 15 minutes, or until apples are tender. Stir about every five minutes. Mash with a whisk when finished cooking, and enjoy!

A few tips:
  • The sweeter the apples, the less sugar you have to use. Talk to your produce man!
  • I suggest starting with less than a cup of water and seeing if you need more as the cooking goes on. Who wants watery applesauce??
  • As you can see from the pic, I like my applesauce to taste and look homemade, which is why I leave some rustic chunks in. Mash to your desired consistency. :)

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Congratulations! Hope you get your taste buds back soon!

Natalie said...

Congrats!!! I know how it is trying to blog about food when the thought of it makes you wanna barf. Hopefully you'll be back to your old self (well, at least your appetite :)) soon!

Anonymous said...

Yum that sounds so good!

Jamie said...

Two boys...that will be so much. How great to have little buddies to play together. Good luck with the pregnancy.