Monday, March 16, 2009

Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies

Dessert first, right?

The best food blog I know of for family friendly food is Picky Palate. She shared a cookie recipe I just had to try. I love all chocolate chip cookie recipes, and I rarely make the same one twice...So you'll probably be seeing more in the future! This particular recipe is a must-try if you like your chocolate chip cookies thick and chewy. I scooped my cookies about half the size that the recipe calls for (making 2 dozen instead of 1 dozen), and they were still big and soft in the middle.

These are knock-off cookies of a famous bakery in NYC called Leavin's.

8 ounces (two sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups BREAD flour (13 1/2 oz)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 to 1 1/3 cups coarsely chopped, untoasted walnuts (I skipped these.)
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Mix butter and sugars just until they come together. Don’t overbeat. Add the egg and beat just until incorporated. Mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to batter and stir just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. The dough should be neither sticky nor dry.
  3. Divide dough into about 12 mounds, but keep the mounds kind of raggedy. That is, don’t smash them into compact balls. Bake on ungreased insulated cookie sheet or an upside down rimmed cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 350. Cool on sheet for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

This should make a dozen 4 oz. cookies or eight 6 oz. cookies.

I worried that my dough was too dry, but the cookies turned out beautifully. So don't stress if your dough seems a little dry. It barely pulled together in my kitchen aid—guess that's just the way it is! Anyway, the neighbors on both sides of us were very happy with the cookies, so I hope you are too!

6 comments:

Jamie said...

I was excited to try these until I saw bread flour as one of the ingredients. I definitely don't have any of that... I assume it is a must?

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

I'd say so. I haven't tried it with regular flour, though, so I can't say for sure. I think bread flour has a higher gluten content, so I'm guessing they wouldn't be the same with regular. But if you do end up buying some, the bread recipe I posted recently, as well as a new bread recipe I'll post soon, both call for bread flour. At least you might not have to buy it for just one recipe!

Christina Updike said...

Yah! Thanks for the recipe . . . I am going to try it tonight! Also, I am glad that you have other recipes that include "Bread flour." MMMmmmm can't wait to try it all! Thanks Erica!

Rachel Eve said...

These look SO yummy! I'm definitely making them, and it just so happens I've been craving chocolate chip cookies.

Rachel Eve said...

Guess what! I just made these cookies with Mom last night. We even used her Kitchen Aide mixture and they turned out so good!

Christina Updike said...

Excellent cookies!!! So many people loved them! I am trying your most recent chocolate chip cookies post tonight! Love your blog!