Thursday, October 23, 2008

Barbecue Chicken Pizza

Last night was one of Ryan's favorites, Barbecue Chicken Pizza with oven roasted zucchini.

Lately I've been grilling up some Cajun seasoned chicken, shredding it, sticking it in a ziplock in the fridge, and finding all kinds of uses for it later. (I'm Robin Miller from Quick Fix Meals!) I use it for wraps, fajitas, BBQ pizza, tortilla soup—practically anything! I used it last night on the pizza, and it tasted great combined with the cilantro, red onion, and gooey mozzarella.

This is the pizza crust recipe I have memorized. I got it from the cooking class I took at BYU. It's a fantastic recipe because (a) it's hard to mess up, (b) it doesn't require much rising time, and (c) with a little alteration, it can also be used for breadsticks and focaccia breads.

Preheat the oven to 425, with pizza stone on lowest rack.

Toppings
diced or shredded chicken
cilantro
red onion
BBQ sauce (We like Sweet Baby Ray's)

Dough
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 Tablespoon yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. Add sugar, salt, and 2 1/2 ups flour. Mix to form dough.
3. Add more flour (up to a 1/2 cup) if needed to pull together. Mix about 3 minutes.
4. Let rest for 10 minutes.

While the dough's resting in the bowl, I prep the toppings... Shred the mozarrella, rough chop a red onion, pull the cilantro off the stems, shred or dice the chicken. (As I said, my chicken is prepped days before this. So convenient!)

I can't say enough about the virtures of a pizza stone. It makes fabulous pizza with a firm or crispy crust that tastes like it came straight from the restaurant. (Of course, if you don't have one yet, you can always use a cookie sheet.)

Dust the stone with cornmeal before placing it in the oven to heat up as the oven preheats. (Or, after the stone has preheated, use a spatula or something to brush some flour onto the stone. Stone is HOT!) Slide or toss your rolled-out dough onto the stone, and cook for about 8 minutes. Remove stone from oven and slather with BBQ sauce and toppings. Return to oven until cheese has melted...and voila!

4 comments:

The Crabtree Chronicles said...

This one is calling my name. I'm having my YW over for a sleepover tomorrow night...I think we might do this!

Sam said...

I have been making homemade pizza so much lately! And I love making barbecue chicken pizza. I love pizza, and making it homemade is even better because it tastes so fresh, and you know it's healthy. I'm going to try your crust recipe. I have one I like, but the crust in your picture looks amazing!

Rachel Eve said...

Yep! Tried that recipe, loved it! That dough really is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Liz said...

Oh good. I need more recipes that I can't mess up. I'm so picky when it comes to food, but I'm trying to branch out. I like looking at your blog and getting all sorts of ideas. I don't think I'm anywhere near your skill level... :)